Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reading Challenge, 2011


Reading Chantel's worthy goals at the above link have convicted me. Was I really reading everything that met up with Philippians 4:8? My problem is if I own a book, I it's almost like I have to read it before getting rid of it, even if I'm not sure it will be that good, and once I start reading a book, I like to finish it. I try to read things that aren't defiling, but perhaps it's time to reexamine even the "harmless" fluffy books, ones Christian in name, but hardly in spirit. Maybe I can skim them over to decide if they are worth reading before I read them, as I did with a few that I decided to give away or trade on paperbackswap. Our move to a new house prompted that in part. But I do want to be pleasing to God, to think on the pure and lovely things. I know I'm weak and give in often, but the Lord is strong, and I'm praying He will help me to do far better this year. Hoping that you will join me in the adventure, and read the books that really do get through to you...in a good way.

~~~~~

My goals, then, are to read books that are more spiritually or practically helpful. Fewer fiction books. I'm going to set the goal of at least 10 nonfiction Christian books. No more than 10 fiction books. And probably a few classics or other nonfiction books.

Last year I read 8 nonfiction Christian books, plus the Bible. 3 classics. 6 secular nonfiction books. And a whopping 25 random fiction books. A little off-balanced, wouldn't you say? Hoping I can do things a little differently this year! If I do read more than 10 fiction books, I want to make sure they are good ones, and I'm especially trying to stay away from romance in the modern sense.

I didn't start off too well, perhaps, but it could have been worse. Yesterday I started and today I finished Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana by Melanie Dobson, which was not as much a romance as it sounds by the title. More of a historical novel, with some romance at the end.

Now I am starting to read the classic theology book called The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul, which I received free--thank you, Ligonier Ministries! It is already a very thought-provoking book and one I think I can really recommend.

I also want to finish at least most of the 15 other books I started last year or before!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul!
It was fun to read your goals. I'm linking mine up to Chantel's page today.