Friday, October 9, 2009

Quotes

Well, I've gotten off my little schedule idea, but that's okay. Maybe I'll get back into it, maybe not.

I've read a few good quotes in The Treasury of David book, lately.

Unto thee will I cry, O Lord my rock; be not silent to me, lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. - Psalm 28:1

(I'm shortening this section. I'd recommend the whole section, if you have the book.)
'Verse 1.--"Unto thee do I cry." Dear reader, in the time of your trouble, do not roam; do not send out your sighs into vacancy; do not let your thoughts wander, as though they were looking for some one on whom to fix; for some one to whom you could tell the story of your heart's need and desolation. Fix your heart as the Psalmist did, and say, 'Unto thee will I cry." . . . Oh! how happy is that man, who feels and knows that when trouble comes, he cannot be bewildered and confused by the stroke, no matter how heavy it may be. Sorrow-stricken he will be, but he has his resource, and he knows it, and will avail himself of it. His is no vague theory of the general sympathy of God for man; his is a knowledge of God, as a personal and feeling God; he says with the Psalmist, "Unto thee will I cry." - Phillip Bennett Power.

'Verse 1.--"My rock. One day a female friend called on the Rev. William Evans, a pious minister in England, and asked how he felt himself. "I am weakness itself," he replied; "but I am on the Rock. I do not experience those transports which some have expressed in the view of death; but my dependence is on the mercy of God in Christ. Here my religion began, and here it must end."'

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Thank you for sharing!
What rich wisdom, indeed!!!
Makes me think of the
Beloved hymn...

"On Christ the Solid
Rock I stand... all other
ground is sinking sand.....
All other ground is sinking sand!"

With Much Love~ Jen