Friday, March 13, 2009

The Lord Trieth The Righteous

From Spurgeon's book, again, on Psalm 11, verse 7.

' "The Lord trieth the righteous:" he doth not hate them, but only tries them. They are precious to him, and therefore he refines them with afflictions. None of the Lord's children may hope to escape from trial, nor, indeed, in our right minds, would any of us desire to do so, for trial is the channel of many blessings.

" 'Tis my happiness below
Not to live without the cross;
But the Saviour's power to know,
Sanctifying every loss.
* * * * *
Trials make the promise sweet;
Trials give new life to prayer;
Trials bring me to his feet--
Lay me low, and keep me there.

Did I meet not trials here--
No chastisement by the way--
Might I not, with reason, fear
I should prove a cast-away!

Bastards may escape the rod,
Sunk in earthly vain delight;
But the true-born child of God
Must not--would not, if he might."
- William Cowper.
Is not this a very cogent reason why we should not distrustfully endeavour to shun a trial?--for in so doing we are seeking to avoid a blessing.'

Is there no trial we should seek to avoid? I think you could take this too far and say you want to have your family in jeopardy, you want to be kidnapped, and take no action to prevent this. If the Lord allows us to go through a trial, then we should trust the Lord and thank Him through it all, however. Any thoughts on this?

No comments: