Saturday, August 24, 2019

Sing! Conference, 2019 - Part 1


Having grown up in a conservative homeschooling family--piano, violin, and maybe organ only for church services, please!--with limited styles of music, lest the beat and emotions overcome us and influence us badly, the Sing! conference with Keith and Kristyn Getty seemed a bit "wild" at first.

In particular, I had some concerns this year when we were at the Bridgestone Arena concert and the musicians took turns showcasing their instruments, sometimes dancing and playing flashy things. The crowd cheered wildly. "Are we worshiping Christ or the musicians?" I later asked my friend Michelle. And I believe this is a legitimate concern...but we must first wonder about our own hearts, not those on stage or others. They stand before God as their judge. Perhaps they are sincerely exhibiting joy in the Lord and having fun. Perhaps they are not proud at all, but inwardly groaning at their lack of proficiency, or hoping to help others...we don't know!

Michelle's answer gave me pause to think before I came to the above conclusion. She had likely grown up with more drums than I have, said she loved them, and had true joy, all while agreeing that the words shouldn't be obscured.

Michelle and me at Bridgestone (sorry for my cheesy grin)

Here's some of what I came away with from the Sing! conference....

I made new friends with roommates, who were found through a friend. Their joy, generosity, and instant acceptance of me made me feel welcome and desirous to be more like them. They felt like family, as they are in Christ!

Bridgette (one of my roommates) and me--sadly I didn't get a pic with my other roommate, Christianna, but here's her blog!

 Helen (another volunteer) and me

The music swelled along with the lyrics at mostly the proper times, giving testimony to God's grace, and in turn humbling me and pointing me to joy in the Lord's goodness.

The speakers, such as John Piper, John MacArthur, Joni Eareckson Tada, drew me away from a self-focus to a God-focus, to Jesus' complete work on the cross and the thankfulness that should always be with us.

He is worthy of some hand-clapping and holy dancing, isn't He? That vulnerability--of being willing to cry and loudly praise Him along with a supportive host of brothers and sisters--as well as my work as a volunteer, directing people to various rooms and making sure they were in the right place, searching places out for myself--helped me feel bolder. That coupled with the third day's teaching on witnessing. Women aren't to preach, but are we not to tell of God's goodness without fear? And I am far too timid most of the time.

I was also inspired to pray more, and live my life for Christ more heartily!

Then there were great books to buy in the exhibitors hall. Yes, we can buy online, but sometimes we don't take the time or know quite which books to search out.

And yes, we can listen to messages online for free, but sometimes being connected with people and having the freedom and focus of a conference is more helpful--at least to this distracted woman.

You have to decide whether it's worth it for you to go, weigh the pros and cons, but for me--especially as a volunteer--it was a blessing that I'll carry with me for some time to come.

No comments: