Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Portable Patriot Review


This book took me almost a year to read, but it was a valuable read.

First of all, I have to say that I love the design of the book. It may seem a small thing, but it made the book more readable to me. It's a small hardcover book, with a smooth cover, cloth binding, attractive fonts, rough page edges, and a few illustrations throughout. There are even the signatures of the Declaration of Independence signers in the front and back, which helps bring the people and the times alive.

Secondly, the passages were well chosen with a variety of kinds of documents, including sermons and poems, which I enjoyed. I am not at all a legal mind and don't know much about politics, so some of the documents were hard for me to wade through and understand, but with patience and concentration, I did get something out of most selections.

I was impressed with the far-reaching foresight some of the men of that day had.

I was challenged to learn more of the history of America and to help keep the original goals of the country alive.

Here are a few inspiring and insightful quotes from Noah Webster:

"The consideration, also, that the intended effects of a free government, are mostly defeated by an abuse of its privileges, should make us more solicitous to acquire a deep and correct knowledge of its true principles, and more vigilant in guarding against the impositions of designing men. . . . men who seek offices by fair promises, and flatter only to deceive."

"Let them consider that upon them has devolved the task of defending and improving the rich inheritance, purchased by their fathers. Nor let them view this inheritance of National Freedom and Independence, as a fortune that is to be squandered away, in ease and riot, but as an estate to be preserved only by industry, toil, and vigilance. Let them cast their eyes around upon the aged fathers of the land, whose declining strength calls for their support, and whose venerable years and wisdom demand their deference and respect."

I was given this book for free by booksneeze.com in exchange for a fair and honest review. Thanks!

No comments: