Monday, May 4, 2009

"I Have Set the Lord Always Before Me"

More quotes from Spurgeon's The Treasury of David (there are so many I might as well share the whole 3-volume set, lol), from Psalm 16:

Verse 8.--"I have set the Lord always before me."
By often thinking of God, the heart will be enticed into desires after him. Isaiah xxvi. 8. "The desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee;" and see what follows, verse 9: "With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early." Love sets the soul on musing, and from musing to praying. Meditation is prayer in bullion, prayer in the ore--soon melted and run into holy desires. The laden cloud soon drops into rain; the piece charged soon goes off when fire is put to it. A meditating soul is in proxima potentia to prayer. --William Gurnall.

Verse 8.--"Because he is at my right hand,"
etc. Of ourselves we stand not at any time, by his power we may overcome at all times. And when we are sorest asaulted he is ever ready at our right hand to support and stay us that we shall not fall. He hath well begun, and shall happily go forward in his work, who hath in truth begun. For true grace well planted in the heart, how weak, soever, shall hold out forever. All total decays come from this--that the heart was never truly mollified, nor grace deeply and kindly rooted therein. --John Ball.

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

WOW.... what rich words!
Thank you for sharing, Melissa!!

My favorite line was~
"By often thinking of God, the heart will be enticed into desires after him."

That was amazingly beautiful!!

Love,
Miss Jen

Melissa M. said...

You're welcome! So glad you enjoyed them!